Friday, August 17, 2012

Scott Antique Market Scores

If you know the hubby and I at all, you know that we love old things...old houses, old furniture, old cookware.  We love items that have history, that have been worn and used and loved, and we love filling our home with these things.  One of the major purposes of our renovation was to take an old house and modernize it while trying to keep as much of the history and vintage flavor as possible.  With that in mind, we've used as much vintage stuff as the budget will allow...and that's where Scott Antique Market comes in.  For those of you that may not know, Scott Antique Market is one of the premiere antique markets in the world.  It's huge- the design team walked 9 miles in one day of browsing!  And it's filled to the brim with vintage and antique goodies, most of which can be had for good prices.  The only downside for us antique hunters is that Scott is only open for one weekend a month- so you better make hay while the sun shines!  We've been making that hay all summer, and I thought y'all might like to see what we've scored.

First up is this lovely bench for the hall.  As you saw from the before house tour, we have a very long and open hall in the house that is just begging for an antique bench.  I've wanted one ever since we bought the house, but we just never seemed to find the right one...until now.

I really like how it folds up.


We can't seem to figure out what this bench was used for...school? train station? auditorium?  It does have a series of numbers on the back for numbered seating.  Any ideas?

Some of my fondest memories growing up were sitting on the front porch with Nan, rocking back and forth in her old glider.  I had always hoped one day to own hers, but she gave it away without consulting any of the family (she's bad to do that).  I was determined to have my own, and have come across them from time to time in various antique stores.  Usually they are in pretty awful condition and massively overpriced, so I just had to walk away.  I was THRILLED when I saw these two gliders at Scott, both of them for a very reasonable price:



 I was a greedy girl and wanted them both, but the hubby talked me into only taking the yellow one.  I can't wait to sit out on my porch in my new (old) glider this fall.  Since this particular booth had such great prices and we have both a front and back porch to furnish, the hubby and I decided to go ahead and spring for these vintage patio chairs too:

I love the bright, vibrant colors.

Just looking at them makes me feel more happy and relaxed.  One of the things that we badly need furniture-wise is some small side/end tables.  When we saw this vintage enamel one we knew we had to have it:

I'm not entirely sure I like the weird fleshy/beige base color, but a quick go over with some Rustoleum will fix that.


How can you resist something that comes with an instruction manual that tells you to burn it after reading?  Where the heck was this thing used?  CIA? FBI? MI6?

Over the course of the summer, we've been looking for an antique fireplace mantle to use in the new living room.  This one is a bit fancier (and more expensive) than the ones in the rest of the house, but I figured that the living room is the most public area of the house, and that's where you want to show off a bit.

Ignore the lovely little table in front of it....alas it is not ours.

 Close up view of the top.  What would you use those pedestals for...candles maybe?

And last, but certainly not least, we found this very cool dry sink for the guest bathroom:


 We plan to put a galvanized tin counter top on it, plumb it, add a vessel sink and a fixture that looks like an old pump to give a neat rustic vibe to the guest bath (but I'll post more on that later).

So that's it for this week folks.  In construction news, we passed our plumbing/electrical inspection and are moving on to insulation and dry wall next week.  More exciting design and construction posts coming in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. I like antiques if its the going theme. Some folks have a very modern home with only a few antiques and it just looks odd. Looks like you guys got it though.

    ReplyDelete